Sunday 15 December 2013

Daily League Sudoku #38: Parity Count Sudoku

This week's Sudoku is an Odd/Even Sudoku variant. I'm pretty sure I have seen this idea before. I have no idea where or what is was called then. So I just gave it my own name.
I always like Sudokus that use parity constraints, which require you to basically build an Odd/Even Sudoku. I made a puzzle that required this before, namely my Battenburg Sudoku. In this one you actually have to solve the Sudoku to set up the whole Odd/Even Sudoku grid. I think because of the interaction between Sudoku and parity rule, this idea is a bit more interesting. I don't think the puzzle is overly difficult. The opening shouldn't be too hard, but there's a few sticking points in the middle in figuring out which numbers go in certain grey cells. I had fun designing it. I sacrificed symmetry a bit as the left top square being grey helped make it unique and I preferred that over giving extra givens. I hope people enjoy it.

Rules for Sudoku

In this Sudoku digits in grey cells indicate how many digits of the opposite parity appear in the cells touching it.




No comments:

Post a Comment